The South Mildura Bulldogs are a proud and historical football club situated in the heart of Mildura. Over our great history, we have won numerous premierships across all football and netball grades; We currently have over 350 registered footballers and netballers across senior and junior grades.
In the early days the South Mildura Sporting Club was struggling for finances and buying footballs was a real issue. South would then send a couple of players to train with Imps and Mildura and when they got the opportunity they would kick a footy over the old sheds where Shirley O’Connor, the club captains wife, and a couple of other Ladies who helped out the club would shove them up their jumpers and bring them back to #3 oval. The ladies during this time were also instrumental in the social scene running the Club Dances. They formed a group and between them and their friend’s hand knitted the football jumpers.
Ernie Caldwell played in the inaugural season of 1945. After his very first game, the President of the club Lloyd Williams gave him a bag and sent him around the ground to collect gate fees and donations for the club. Many years later, Ernie took up the official role as gatekeeper for Sarah Oval, a role he continued in up until 2015 (40 years).